When summer rolls around we can all look forward to tasty fresh produce - the upshot of which is that so many of them can be great for you! So, when the weather warms up and many of these foods come into season, there's no better time to include them in your meals and snacks for the whole family! Here are five great foods to try this summer.
- Tomatoes. Eaten fresh, tossed in a salad, sliced in your homemade burgers or grilled over the BBQ, there's almost no meal that won't benefit from the extra taste and health of summer tomatoes. They also have high levels of lycopene.
- Blueberries. These dark purple berries are so tasty you can eat them as a treat or for dessert! Plus, they are loaded with vitamin C which is an antioxidant to help protect membranes from oxidative damage. You can get them frozen or fresh to add to smoothies, salads, cereals, or simply as a succulent snack!
- Red capsicum. Full of vitamin C, this colourful veggie actually has a higher vitamin content than its green and yellow counterparts. All capsicum - also known as bell peppers - are low in calories and are a sweet and tasty addition to salads, dips and stir frys.
- Plums. Studies have found that plums may be great for bone health - and this is either in their fresh or dried (prune) form! This makes them a great addition to any school or work lunch box.
- Watermelon. This sweet and flavourful fruit is a delicious and nutritious summer source of vitamin C. It makes for a great fresh smoothie, a snack, or you can even chop up cubes of this pink fruit and toss with fresh mint and cubed feta for a quick and easy salad.