This one sounds a little odd but is a great way to disguise vegetables in a family favourite! It’s also a great way to make a Red Velvet chocolate cake without using artificial colours to bring out that rich red tone. If the Beetroot Chocolate Cake doesn’t float your boat, why not try Chocolate Zucchini cupcakes?
- 1 ½ cups well-drained, mashed, cooked beetroot
- ½ tsp. vanilla essence
- 330g white sugar (about 1 ½ cups)
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 220g plain flour (about 1 ¾ cups)
- 1 ½ teaspoons bicarb soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease cake pan. We suggest a 20x30cm rectangle or an 8inch round cake pan.
- Combine beetroot, eggs, vanilla, oil and sugar in bowl and blend on a low speed to form a creamy consistency. Once achieved, set to one side.
- In separate dry bowl combine flour, bicarb soda, salt and cocoa, ensuring all dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Slowly add the mixtures together ensuring they are well combined to create a smooth batter.
- Pour into prepared pan and place on middle shelf in oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a prick test reveals the mixture has baked through.
- Allow cake to cool on baking rack before icing with your favourite flavours.
Why not try another of our delicious recipes containing vegetables in disguise!
- Hidden vegetable pasta sauce – vegetarian and meat options
- Veggie packed meat balls (or burgers!)
- Green & gold quiche
- Marvellous muffins
- Chocolate zucchini cupcakes
- Cauliflower Bread Sticks
- Cauliflower, potato & parmesan mash
- Cinnamon sweet potato muffins
- Orange spaghetti