A healthy diet that includes plenty of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, protein and healthy fats should provide most of the nutrients you need for good health. The reality is that not everyone manages to eat a healthy diet and many diets fall short in nutritional content. By taking a daily multivitamin, you won’t make up for an unhealthy diet, but it can help top up your diet. In addition to poor diet choices, other elements can affect your nutritional well-being such as:
- Growing, harvesting, storage and preparation of food – The nutrient value of food can be changed by the way it’s processed, cooked and stored. For instance, the vitamin C content of fruit and vegetables can be affected by the use of high nitrogen fertilisers in farming and exposure to high heat in cooking. B vitamin levels can be affected by the milling of cereals and by the process of ‘blanching’ before a food is canned or frozen.1 Consequently, even if you think you’re eating well you may not be getting all the nutrients your body needs from food alone.
- Stress – Are you under stress or feeling overwhelmed with your busy lifestyle? Prolonged stress increases the metabolic needs of the body and can increase your need for various vitamins and minerals including magnesium, chromium and vitamin C.
- Medicines – Some medicines can have a negative effect on nutrients, affecting the way you absorb or store them. For example, antibiotics reduce the good bacteria in our bowels as well as biotin, inositol, the B vitamins and vitamin K.3
- Strenuous exercise – Intense exercise enhances the metabolic demands of the body and can alter a person’s nutritional status. For instance, exercise stresses the metabolic energy pathways that depend on vitamin B2, and may also affect levels of vitamin B1 and chromium.
- Age – Are you over the age of 50? The intestinal absorption of calcium tends to decrease with age as does the synthesis of vitamin D in the skin. Aging may also affect the metabolism of some B vitamins.2 Older adults therefore need to obtain more of these nutrients every day to make up for potential losses.
If you have a less‐than‐ideal diet, or one or more of these factors rings true, your diet may be lacking in nutrients. Taking a Cenovis® multivitamin helps top up your vitamin and mineral intake to support your general health and well-being.