Fish oil is a convenient and superior source of omega 3 essential fatty acids which are needed for the maintenance of general health across all life stages. This makes it a good addition to the diet of active families. Fish oil’s health benefits are many and include:
- Pregnancy and infant health – Omega 3 fatty acids are important during the last trimester of pregnancy for the normal development and function of the baby’s brain and eyes. Supplementation with omega 3 rich fish oil during pregnancy also helps maintain the mother’s general health and well-being.
- Childhood growth and development – Omega 3 helps support the development of the brain, eyes and nerves, and may help verbal learning and memory in some children. As any parent knows getting kids to eat fish can be difficult, especially when they go through periods of fussy eating. A specialised kid’s fish oil supplement may be beneficial in these cases to ensure they get what they need for healthy growth and development.
- Heart health – Fish oil helps maintain heart and cardiovascular health, and supports normal cholesterol, triglyceride and blood pressure levels in healthy mums and dads. It’s recommended that adults consume at least 500mg of omega 3 every day to support heart health. This can be achieved by eating two to three serves of oily fish every week or by taking a fish oil supplement.
- Brain support – The omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil help maintain healthy brain function, concentration and memory. They may also help alleviate irritability and provide symptomatic relief of mood swings. Perfect for maintaining your sanity when juggling work and home life.
- Joint health – A daily dose of fish oil helps maintain joint health and mobility. Great for parents who want to stay active and mobile and keep up with their busy kids.