This is a great way to get your kids to eat extra vegetables and with all the extra crunch it’s perfect for soups or snacks. The best thing about this recipe is that it can also be used instead of pizza dough!
- ½ a head of cauliflower (between 160-200g), riced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (low fat is fine)
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 tsp. parsley
- Spray oil
NB: You can use any seasoning, spice or garlic you prefer to add extra punch.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Line tray with baking paper and spray with oil to lightly grease, putting to one side once done.
- Wash the cauliflower and remove leaves if required. To make riced cauliflower you need to ensure the texture resembles rice in size. We suggest either grating it by hand (especially if it’s fresh and firm) or if you have a food processor use the shred/grate blade (this works really well for frozen cauliflower).
- Once riced, put cauliflower in a microwave safe dish, cover and place in microwave for 4-5 minutes. Ensure you don’t add any water as the riced cauliflower will absorb it and make the mixture mushy.
- Once the riced cauliflower is tender, mix in the lightly beaten egg and mozzarella to create a “dough” texture. Once mixed press it out on the prepared tray and divide into even sections by cutting with a sharp knife, or pizza cutter. NB: You may need to repeat this process during baking to ensure the sticks remain separate.
- Sprinkle any herbs, spices or seasoning your family likes and don’t forget the parmesan cheese for some added crunch!
- Place in hot oven for 20 – 25 minutes and bake until golden brown.
- Once cooked, cool on a wire rack.
Makes: 6 Breadsticks (roughly) or 1 small Pizza base
Why not try another of our delicious recipes containing vegetables in disguise!
- Hidden vegetable pasta sauce – vegetarian and meat options
- Veggie packed meat balls (or burgers!)
- Green & gold quiche
- Marvellous muffins
- Beautiful beetroot chocolate cake (Also great as Red Velvet cake)
- Chocolate zucchini cupcakes
- Cauliflower, potato & parmesan mash
- Cinnamon sweet potato muffins
- Orange spaghetti