Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes are a healthy twist on a childhood favourite and packed full of veggies!
- 120g butter, softened
- 125ml sunflower or vegetable oil
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 130ml milk
- 2 3/4 cups (340g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 450g zucchinis, peeled and grated finely
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Salt (optional)
Optional Marshmallow icing:
- 1 packet of marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and prepare cupcake tin. We like to use Canola spray to prevent sticking but you can also use cupcake cases.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, milk and oil and set to one side.
- In a separate bowl sift flour*, cocoa, baking powder and salt (optional) then combine both sugars and mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add the previously prepared wet mixture to the dry bowl and mix ingredients together well.
- Add the grated zucchini and Vanilla to the combined mix and fold through for an even consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared cupcake tin and place in the oven on the middle shelf.
- Bake cupcakes for 30-40 minutes or until a prick test reveals the mixture has been cooked through.
- Can be served hot or cold.
To add a Marshmallow Icing include this step after step 6
Check the cupcake consistency at 30 minutes and see how the mixture is setting. If almost set (within 5 -10mins) take cupcakes out of oven and place a marshmallow on top of each cupcake. Return to oven for 2 mins to allow marshmallows to melt a little. Once they begin to melt, remove cupcakes from oven and using a clean, dry spoon or spatula, gently flatten the Marshmallows. This will help them melt over the cupcake like traditional icing. Bake until marshmallows have melted and are slightly caramelised on top.
*Sifting flour is optional, but sifted flours produce a smoother cake texture.
Why not try another of our delicious recipes containing vegetables in disguise!
- Hidden vegetable pasta sauce – vegetarian and meat options
- Veggie packed meat balls (or burgers!)
- Green & gold quiche
- Marvellous muffins
- Beautiful beetroot chocolate cake (Also great as Red Velvet cake)
- Cauliflower Bread Sticks
- Cauliflower, potato & parmesan mash
- Cinnamon sweet potato muffins
- Orange spaghetti