What are the health benefits of garlic?
Published June 5, 2017
How can garlic improve my health?
Garlic is a versatile herb that not only enhances the flavour of food but is prized for its numerous health benefits including support for our immune systems. Underneath that pungent odour is a complex combination of nutritional goodness. Garlic bulbs contain organosulfur compounds, protein and amino acids, fibre, lipids, phytic acid, saponins, beta‐sitosterol and small quantities of vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, vitamin E, betacarotene, chromium, iron and selenium. Of the numerous elements present, it is the sulphur compounds like alliin and its degradation products including allicin and ajoene, that are believed to be responsible for garlic’s health effects.These are produced when garlic is crushed, chewed or ground. Allicin is also accountable for garlic’s distinctive odour.
What are the health benefits of garlic?
Garlic has a number of health benefits mainly in the areas of immunity. It and has been revered in many traditional systems of medicine for thousands of years.
- Immunity – Garlic may support a healthy immune system and defend against bacteria and other microbes to help keep you healthy all year round. In the event that you do fall victim to an upper respiratory tract infection like a cold or flu, garlic may help to relieve the associated symptoms.
- Antioxidant – Rich in antioxidants, garlic may help to defend against damaging free radicals.
I don’t like the taste of garlic, can I take a supplement?
A garlic supplement is a good alternative for those who find the smell and taste of garlic a little overpowering. Garlic supplements come in capsules or tablets as an oil or powder, on its own, or in combination with other immune supporting ingredients like vitamin C. Even if you do include garlic in your daily diet, a supplement might be a good idea through the winter season when colds and flus run rampant, or to simply support your immune system all year round. Cenovis have a range of garlic supplements available –
- Cenovis Garlic is a low odour formula containing garlic oil equivalent to 3g of fresh garlic in each capsule and may help to relieve the symptoms of colds including mucous congestion and coughs. This is a great formula for those who dislike the taste of garlic as it has been flavoured with natural peppermint oil.
- Cenovis Garlic and Horseradish + C Complex combines garlic with vitamin C, horseradish, fenugreek and marshmallow to provide relief of cold symptoms and hayfever. It may also assist in the management of upper respiratory tract infection and provide symptomatic relief from allergies. Vitamin C is effective in reducing the duration and severity of cold symptoms whilst garlic supports the immune system. Horseradish is used in traditional Western herbal medicine to relieve mucous congestion and aid digestion.
- Cenovis Echinacea, Garlic, Zinc & C has been specially formulated with vitamins, minerals and herbs that support immune function and may reduce the severity and duration of cold symptoms.
What is the difference between normal and aged garlic extracts?
Aged garlic is sometimes used in products because the process of aging garlic reduces its odour. Unfortunately, this process may reduce the amount of allicin, and compromise its effectiveness. Cenovis Garlic is not aged, but flavoured with natural peppermint oil so you still get the health benefits, without the garlic aftertaste.
Do I get garlic from a regular multivitamin?
A multivitamin supplement will not typically contain garlic and if it does it will probably be in too small a quantity to provide any health benefit. If you want to give your immune system some support, then a specialised high strength garlic formula may be the way to go.
Can I take garlic supplements while breastfeeding?
Based on historical use, garlic is likely to be suitable while breastfeeding in amounts usually consumed through food. Ensure you take the recommended dose and consult your healthcare professional if you have any concerns or your symptoms persist. Cenovis Garlic and Horseradish + C Complex is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women because of its horseradish content.
Can I give garlic supplements to my children?
Cenovis Garlic and Cenovis Garlic and Horseradish + C Complex supplements are recommended for adults and children over 12 years of age or as recommended by your healthcare professional. Please seek advice from your healthcare professional before use in smaller children or provide fresh garlic through family meals.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional. Vitamin supplements should not replace a balanced diet.
Learn about which Cenovis product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE