The first day of Kindergarten is the start of a big adventure in learning for kids. Ensuring they have everything they need to start the year off right is essential!
You have probably received a list of requirements during orientation day but in case you haven’t, this list may be a handy reference.
- Plain graphite pencils with a comfortable grip for little hands. Buy a pack of 10 in case of breakages and loss.
- Crayons - generally a 24 pack is sufficient for school.
- Handy hint: Larger collections of pencils and crayons are a great idea to keep at home for homework.
- Blunt nose safety scissors for paper cutting.
- Glue sticks – handy for pasting all those coloured in and cut-out works of art!
- Washable markers.
- Construction paper.
- Painting smock.
- Often young children may need a spare pair of underwear in case of accidents
- Handy tip: keep them in a zip lock bag and provide some reassurance just in case an accident happens.
- Homework and composition books.
- Tissues, wet wipes or hand sanitiser.
- Sturdy and roomy pencil case to hold pencils, crayons and markers.
- Loose leaf paper.
The kids might also need:
- A lunchbox with enough room for morning tea and “big” lunch plus snacks and space for a chilled drink to keep food cool.
- A roomy backpack. Make sure the kids feel comfortable wearing it with all the requirements inside.
Your child’s teacher will advise you on binders, yearly workbooks, storage containers or in some instances, iPads or tablets required for your child’s learning needs.