Having a sleep routine in place can help improve the quality of sleep for the whole family. When we make a consistent effort to relax and unwind before bed time and let go of the day’s stresses we will generally get to sleep more easily and wake up recharged the following morning. A relaxing sleep routine is especially beneficial for small children as it enables them to wind down after a busy, active day and gives their little bodies and minds a powerful cue that bedtime is approaching. Establishing good sleeping routines in kids supports their growth and development and teaches them good habits that will last their lifetime. It will also help bring harmony and sanity to any household at night time!
What do I include in my child’s sleep routine?
A sleep routine for kids is very individual but the aim is the same, to help your child relax; to mentally and physically prepare for rest. Your child’s sleep routine could go something like this:
- Quiet play after dinnertime such as puzzles or drawing.
- Having a warm bath with a few drops of soothing lavender oil.
- Hopping into their pyjamas, brushing their teeth and going to the toilet.
- Bedtime yoga stretches or deep breathing exercises.
- Hopping into bed and reading a book under soft light or listening to quiet music.
- A kiss and a cuddle.
- Lights out.
Try and keep your little one’s bedtime around the same time each night and their sleep routine consistent.
What do I include in my own sleep routine?
Just like kids, adults need to allow time to unwind after a demanding or stressful day in order to shift into sleep mode. A relaxing sleep routine can help ease the transition from wakefulness to sleep and avoid sleeping problems. About 15 minutes to half an hour before your typical bed time, you should stop activities that can interfere with sleep such as working, watching TV or playing on your phone or laptop. This is the time to initiate relaxing activities such as:
- Making simple preparations for the next day.
- Having a warm bath or shower.
- Doing gentle stretches or deep breathing exercises.
- Reading a book or magazine under soft light.
- Listening to quiet music.
If you or your little night owl are still having problems sleeping, a natural sleep remedy from Cenovis may help to relax the body, reduce sleeplessness and insomnia, and assist a good night’s rest.
Always read the label. Use only as directed. Vitamin supplements should not replace a balanced diet.