Taking a daily multivitamin is a convenient way to help top up your dietary nutritional intake and complements a healthy diet. Key nutrients to look for when choosing the right one for your needs include:
- B group vitamins ‐ Most of the B vitamins are involved in the release of energy from food. Some are involved in healthy nervous system function and help to form red blood cells. Even though B‐group vitamins are found in many foods, they are water soluble, delicate and easily destroyed by cooking and processing methods.1 In addition, B vitamins aren’t stored in the body, which means that a person who has a poor diet for a few months may become deficient.1 For this reason, choose a multivitamin containing all of the B vitamins to help top up your daily intake.
- Folic acid ‐ Folic acid is a B vitamin that’s needed for the synthesis of DNA and thus plays a role in normal cell division. Folic acid is important for everyone but especially pregnant women as it can reduce the risk of having a child born with neural tube defects. If you’re pregnant or planning to be, ensure your pregnancy multivitamin contains about 500mcg of folic acid per dose.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is important for healthy immune function and is necessary for the formation of collagen in bones, cartilage, muscles and blood vessels. Like the B vitamins, vitamin C is water‐soluble and levels can be reduced by the harvesting, storage and preparation of food.2
- Magnesium – Magnesium is involved in more than 300 essential metabolic reactions. It plays a role in energy metabolism, muscle contraction and the conduction of nerve impulses so should be included in a comprehensive multivitamin.
- Zinc ‐ Zinc is important as it helps with the building of new tissues, maintains immune function and has antioxidant effects. Men have greater zinc needs than women as it’s essential for the normal functioning of the male reproductive system. The Cenovis® Once Daily Men’s Multi + Performance contains 15mg of zinc per dose to help men meet their daily needs.
- Iron – Iron is needed for the synthesis of haemoglobin, a molecule in red blood cells that transports oxygen around the body and into the tissues, and is involved in energy production Women of child‐bearing age may benefit from a multivitamin that contains iron if diet alone is not providing enough. Cenovis Once Daily Women’s Multi + Energy Boost is a multivitamin especially developed for women and may help to top up iron intake.
- Calcium ‐ Many people aren’t consuming enough calcium required to build and maintain strong bones. In fact, it’s estimated that around 90% of women are not consuming the calcium their bodies need.3 A multivitamin with calcium may therefore be a good adjunct to a healthy diet to help you meet your daily requirements.
- Iodine – Iodine is a good addition to a multivitamin as it’s needed for normal thyroid function. It’s especially beneficial for pregnant women, as it’s necessary for the normal health and mental development of the baby.
- Chromium – Chromium is a mineral required in small amounts that helps maintain healthy glucose metabolism and assists in the management of fluctuating blood sugar levels in healthy people. Those with a high intake of refined carbohydrates, who are stressed or partake in intense exercise have greater chromium needs.
- Manganese – Cenovis® multivitamins include the mineral manganese as it helps maintain healthy bones and joints, and is an essential cofactor in the antioxidant system.