Muffins are a great way to get veggies on the go and like quiche they are very versatile and can be made to your family’s tastes. The recipe below is vegetarian, but you can add sliced ham, bacon, chicken or turkey to the mix for something a bit more substantial. We like to make these for easy week day breakfasts or brunches.
- 1tsp olive oil or canola spray for greasing tray
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 large carrots, grated finely
- 1 large zucchini, grated finely
- 1 cup grated cheese (we like to use tasty)
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 125g butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small red capsicum
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 100g sliced/diced meat
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and prepare a muffin pan by lightly greasing.
- In a large pan over medium heat, lightly brown the onion (approx. 5 minutes). Stir in finely grated carrots, zucchini and any additional vegetables. Cook until they begin to soften then remove mixture from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine beaten eggs, butter, milk, salt and pepper (if required) then slowly add wet mixture to the cooling vegetables mixture and stir in the flour. Ensure all ingredients are combined but don’t over stir or handle the mixture too much.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin trays or cups and bake for 20mins* or until golden brown.
- Can be served hot or cold.
*All ovens are different so don’t forget to check your muffins around the 15 minutes mark. You’ll roughly know how much longer they require if you do a quick prick test to assess the mixture consistency. Timings may also be different for various sized muffins so try and keep them all roughly the same.
Why not try another of our delicious recipes containing vegetables in disguise!
- Hidden vegetable pasta sauce – vegetarian and meat options
- Veggie packed meat balls (or burgers!)
- Green & gold quiche
- Beautiful beetroot chocolate cake (Also great as Red Velvet cake)
- Chocolate zucchini cupcakes
- Cauliflower Bread Sticks
- Cauliflower, potato & parmesan mash
- Cinnamon sweet potato muffins
- Orange spaghetti