Being "healthier" doesn’t mean you have to overhaul your entire diet and lifestyle. Sometimes all it takes are a few simple tweaks. Start something healthy today with these quick‐and‐easy health tips for the whole family:
- Do some morning yoga stretches like cat‐cow and downward dog or several star jumps. It will help boost circulation, revive tired muscles and energise the body.
- Start the day well hydrated by drinking a glass of water with the juice of half a lemon or lime first thing each morning and encourage the rest of the family to join you in this healthy practise.
- Eat a good breakfast together. It helps refuel your body after many hours of fasting and gives you the energy you need to go about your daily tasks. Doing it together as part of your daily routine fosters this good habit.
- Snack on blueberries. They’re a good source of health‐boosting vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Laugh often. Laughter strengthens your immune system, boosts your energy levels and helps protect you from the damaging effects of stress. In fact, a good hearty laugh can leave your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes afterwards.1 Best of all, laughter is fun, free and infectious. Watch your favourite comedy, go to your local comedy club, do something silly or share a joke or funny story with the family.
- Fit exercise into your daily routine. Try to do at least three sessions of organised exercise each week. This could be by going for a brisk walk or jog, playing sport or attending an aerobics class. Also try to be generally more active on a daily basis by walking to the shops instead of driving, playing with the kids in the backyard or going for a family bike ride.
- Sing in the shower. Scientists have found that singing strengthens the immune system and boosts mood.2
- Add green leafy vegetables to the family’s evening meal such as broccoli, spinach, kale or Asian greens as they’re a great source of important nutrients.
- Limit screen time before bed. Watching TV, playing computer games or scrolling the internet is too stimulating, especially for little minds, and not conducive to a good night’s sleep.